- Can you use three words to describe the identity of your label?
- Independent, Cool, Unisex
- What did you think about “Made in China” 5 years ago and what about now?
- I was still a student five years ago and most of the designers who had significant impact on me were those avant-garde Japanese and European designers. Comparing to them, ‘Made in China’ sounded inexpensive to me. But I am so proud of ‘Made in China’ right now as many Chinese have made dreams come true. In terms of fashion, we have sufficient manufacturing resources that other countries don’t have.
- Who would you consider as the most important people in your career life?
- My tutor Cecilia Langemar and my ex bosses Agi & Sam
- What do you think you would be doing if you didn’t become a designer?
- What’s your favourite city in the world, and why?
- London definitely
- What is your favourite fabric to work with?
- If you have to pick only one shade of colour for you to work with for the rest of your life, which one would it be?
- Coffee or tea?
- I like both
- Cats or dogs?
- I love cats more than dogs, but still love dogs.
- Fill in the blank. I cannot live without__
After graduating from Winchester School of Art in 2010, Charlex Lin had the opportunity to work for two of the industry’s most emerging labels Agi & Sam and Louise Goldin in London. This valuable experience not only has given Lin a handful of training and exposure to the fashion industry, but also has lightened up her dream to have her own label. After two years of working as a menswear designer, Lin stood at the crossroad debating if she should stay in London to keep pursuing her dream, or going back to China to start a new chapter there. While an answer wasn't really clear to her, a great freelance opportunity helped her make the decision. She was offered to work with Tyra Banks and her stylist Tina for American Next Top Model's filming in Macau. Both Tyra and Tina encouraged Lin to start her own label and purse her long-desired dream. And in 2014, Alias was born.
- Shenzhen, China
- Winchester School of Art
Founded in 2014 by London Trained, China raised designer Charlex Lin, Alias is a ready to wear label that pays tremendous attention to detail and fabric. Meaning a historical stone, "A Lias" reflects designer's own personality- tough, Independent, and edgy. The word "Alias" itself also says it all. Lin believes style can be a different identity or language when we communicate with others. Urban silhouette, deconstructed and avant-garde design, as well as modern and understated edgy vibe are the messages that Alias trying to come across. This wearable line reflects the kind of woman who are independent, bold, modern, and stylish.