- Can you use three words to describe the identity of your label?
- Authentic, Minimal, Art of Living (I know, these are more than three words).
- What did you think about “Made In China” 5 years ago and what about now?
- “Made in China” used to be automatically associated with cheap quality and massive production. China was the manufacturing country for world’s biggest labels, but that was IT! Nowadays? We don’t want to jump into a conclusion just yet, but we’re glad to see the young generation is trying very hard to create authentic and independent labels with passion, and trying to improve the image of “Made in China”. We believe as long as we create everything with our hearts, we will be able to shape a new and positive image of ”Made in China”.
- Who would you consider as the most important people in your career life?
- Keke Li. He was one of Naidea’s founders. He has dedicated himself fully into making this brand happen. Keke was always there for me, for Naidea. We went through all the struggles together.
- What do you think you would be doing if you didn’t become a designer?
- A food critic.
- What’s your favourite city in the world, and why?
- Polosi, Salar de Uyuni. The lake there can reflect the blue sky as clear as a mirror. So beautiful!
- What is your favourite kind of leather to work with?
- Vegetable tanned leather.
- If you have to pick only one shade of colour for you to work with for the rest of your life, which one would it be?
- Sky blue.
- Coffee or tea?
- Both are my favourites. Coffee is good for the mornings and tea is perfect for slow living.
- Cats or dogs?
- We adopted two dogs. They are more affectionate.
- Fill in the blank. I cannot live without___.
- Teammates and friends.
When Chen Chen Li was young, sun-bathing on the balcony looking at her aunt embroidering artworks was her favourite thing to do. Amazed by the amount of repeating and stitching that her aunt has put into each piece, Li started to hand craft little things and eventually fell in love with creating magic with her own hands. When it came to the time to choose her university major, she followed her heart and took Fashion Design. However, it wan't until later on, she realized what she found most fascinating was leather- the smell, the touch and the flexibility. With the help from her friends, Li founded her leather goods label Naidea in 2014.
- Qingdao, China
- Szechuan University
Naidea is an independent leather goods label aims to bring handcrafted, high quality, authentic and personalized leather goods to the ones who embrace minimal design with a hands-on and individual approach. From souring leathers to designing to handcrafting, everything is done in house- one stitch at a time, one piece at a time. Naidea believes that daily organizing should be a work of art, an attitude of taking life seriously, but not so much. Every piece of leather is different, so is the goods and the person who owns it. All of the leathers are vegetable-tanned leather, which is not only environmental friendly, but also shows its wear beautifully over time.